Monday, August 6, 2012

Little By Little

It's been great to be home! I'm happy to report that the kids all managed very well while we were gone, and have definitely adjusted to being home. They've been on their best behavior, and are having a great time with their friends. Seth left for Scout Camp Monday through Saturday, and we missed him, but he had a ton of fun!

Nate's doing well. We're slowly figuring out his diet, meds, and activity level. He has a long recovery ahead but we do see little improvements each day. His mornings are getting better so he's able to increase his activity level throughout the day. We've been taking walks at night and he can go farther each day! He's been very patient through this whole thing. I know he'd love to be doing more than he's able, but he's really good not to push himself too hard.

We had our first appointment with Nate's local surgeon, Dr. Bowles, on Thursday. I woke up that morning and had a little panic attack because I realized that I'd been assuming/taking for granted that this new surgeon would be just like Dr. Lambert. I realized that the chances of that were very slim, and that just because Dr. Lambert knew Dr. Bowles from their residencies at Dartmouth and their fellowships at MD Anderson, didn't mean they would be anything alike. However, my heart was calmed as soon as we met Dr. Bowles. She was so personable and attentive. She is supportive of the HIPEC procedure which means she won't chastise us for the decision we made to have it. She's very willing to help Nate deal with the unfortunate complications he's had, and she has a very positive outlook. She's also well acquainted with our medical oncologist, and her office is just one building away. She stays in contact with him and Dr. Lambert, and is willing to approach Nate's care as part of a team.

I came away from the appointment with so much gratitude in my heart. I know this is yet another blessing in a long string of blessings. It reminds me that there is most definitely a plan laid out for Nathan. I feel like he's in great hands, and I'm so grateful for the comfort and trust I have in his doctors. It's one less thing we have to stress about.

Dr. Bowles thought Nate looked really good. He's up a whopping 3 pounds! His labs are looking better from his last draw at UMASS before we left. His white count was the same, but that was expected. His hematocrit (red blood cells) was ten points higher, which is great! His kidney function is all the way back within normal range...so grateful for that! His liver function is still abnormal but that's not surprising because of all the trauma. The wound drain will remain in place for another few weeks until we can have a CT scan to see how much infection remains. She gave him a couple new meds to help with nausea and digestion. He's definitely on the right track!

We have an appointment with Dr. Whisenant, Nate's medical oncologist, tomorrow afternoon where we'll discuss plans for the systemic chemo. Even though it gets tiring to have so many appointments,  I'm relieved to have so many eyes on Nate. He has a great team behind him, and I know we've been guided.

Thanks again for all the continued love and support we feel. We received meals all week last week, which really helped me focus on Nate and the kids. I think we're slowly getting back to "normal" life (if there is such a thing), and we even find ourselves making plans for the coming months. Nate's working a little from home and hopes to get into the office again this week. His employer has been so good to us, and I know it'll be really good for Nate to get back to work!

My good friend, Tara, sent me a text the other day of a great quote that gave me comfort. "Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think that you've lost time. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time." -Asha Tyson

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your update! I love Tara's quote...I look back on my life and see "jewels" (I wouldn't have called them that back when they were being formed!) of learning and can see how I have changed. I have been thinking a lot about what an advantage OLD people can have because our lifelong chain of challenges can MAKE us (I suppose they can break us...our choice...but not mine..or yours!!!) I just pray for your family that these trials will be jewels that line your path...I always figure I'd just as well learn from my problems...I'm going through them, anyway...and, like the quote said, they form and mold you...and make you YOU. Hugs to each of you!!!

    ReplyDelete