Friday, April 27, 2012

Twilight Zone

Time is a funny thing. I feel like we're in the Twilight Zone sometimes!  I see life happening all around me but I'm not sure I'm involved in it. I always hated when people used the word 'surreal' because it seems like one of those cliches used in reality T.V. all the time. I'm never sure if the person using it really knows what it means, or if they just think it makes them sound intelligent. So here it goes...Life is so surreal!!! Sorry, I had to say it! What else can I call it? If anyone has a better term, please let me know! I still don't like the word!

Seriously, how have 3 months come and gone already? How have I aged 5 years in only 3 months? How does the last 3 months seem like they've taken a  year to pass? Maybe we are in the Twilight Zone...could somebody please yell, "Cut"!? I'm ready to be done now.

Nate is scheduled for his second MRI this Monday morning. We'll use it to compare to the MRI he had when he began his chemo. We're praying for a miracle. We've been praying that the chemo is successfully killing the cancer cells and that the tumors are shrinking. As Sam and Sydney say, "Please bless that Dad does good in his chemo". We're having a special fast this Saturday and Sunday that the scan will show that the tumors are shrinking, thereby increasing the chances for a successful surgery. Anyone who feels inclined to join our family in this petition is more than welcome! The faith of our family and friends strengthens us more than anything. Thank you to anyone who is willing to join us!

Nate continues to power through all of this. I still marvel at his strength and his ability to continue on with everyday life. He's an amazing example to me. He manages his work, his church calling, and his family time so well. I don't know how he does it, and he won't tell me either...he's such a stinker that way!!!

I know that I haven't mentioned our children very much in this blog. Many of you ask about them, and I think many more of you wonder about them. They seem to be doing OK. Of course we worry about them and their willingness to talk about all of this with us, but we try to keep most of the information out in the open. They wear their 'Live Strong' bracelets everyday and they continue to pray for Nate in all of their prayers. Since Nate looks so healthy, we actually have to remind them sometimes that he's still sick with cancer. It's weird. Sometimes I'm tempted not to say anything. Oblivion is bliss, right? But, we realize we need their faith and prayers too. They are good kids and we love them so much. It's just not fair that they have to deal with this. That's my "Boo Hoo" for this post.

As I write this, Nate is on an 11 year old scout camp out. You'd think it was the first time he's ever been away for the night if you saw me right now...why was I born with this overwhelming need to worry and fret? I hope he's having a blast doing what he loves to do! It is only 43 degrees outside and the wind is whistling...stay warm Nate!

Thanks again for all the continued prayers! I'll update again when we get some results. Hopefully we'll be able to make some plans for travel and the big surgery. Keep your fingers crossed! Love to all.

5 comments:

  1. Natalie, You guys amaze us all. Nate was here with the boys with a big smile on his face and there you were dropping off Seth. You inspire everyone around you as you simply live your lives each day. Thanks for keeping us updated. We will most definitley join you in fasting next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nat, thanks for the update. I can't even imagine how you must feel day to day. I think of you often and pray you and your family will continue to stay strong. We love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Natalie~~I think surreal fits....your life isn't the humdrum, day-to-day stuff (though I am sure you wish it was). I relate with the fretting stuff...but you are doing everything you can. We love your family and pray for you all.

    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I continue to be amazed by the Hardy family. Your faith, friendship, and strength is a lesson for all of us. We continue to pray for you and will be fasting for you! Thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey nat! Wow, what a journey for your family you are having to trudge thru and with such strength and faith. I'm so proud of you for allowing us to be part of Nathan's battle and giving us so many things to be praying for for him and you. Honestly I wish I could be there to just give you a great big hug and sit with you and hear how things are going. You are and have always remained such a dear part of my childhood and life and even though many years are between us now, I still feel very close to you and this journey. My Preston and your Nathan, will have a very strong "survivorship" bond even if they never meet each other...they will be survivors together. Keep relying on God's strength and others to help you thru this process and one day, you'll be emailing someone else to help them thru this very same thing. Super Super proud of you! Blessings and much love, Tricia

    ReplyDelete