Monday, September 24, 2012

Chemo Round 2

We are officially on the chemo countdown! During our visit with Dr. Whisenant today, we discussed plans for the next five chemo rounds (including this one), and timing for Nate's next surgery. If all goes as planned, Nate should finish his sixth round of chemo the week of November 12 and should be able to have his surgery four to five weeks later. We'll keep our fingers crossed that we can wrap this up within the 2012 calendar year so we can go into 2013 with a fresh start! Not to mention the benefit of squeezing all the big bills into one insurance calendar year! I know what I want for Christmas!

Round 2...still smiling!
Nate did really well with his last round. He survived his trip to Jackson Hole, and I think the change of scenery was good for him. He successfully disconnected himself from his pump and isn't looking back. Unless he needs fluids or IV meds for nausea, he wants to continue to disconnect himself at home. I'm super impressed by his willingness to live his life regardless of this dumb disease.

This past weekend we took our kids camping in our trailer up to Smith and Morehouse near Oakley, Ut. The kids had a great time exploring, the leaves are changing, it was beautiful weather, and we just had a great time! We fished for a little while on the reservoir and caught four fish. Seth took a Polar Bear Plunge in his skivvies, just to prove that he could, and survived. We discovered homemade pizzas cooked over the campfire, and realized that all four of our kids are fire bugs.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
We traveled home on Sunday in time to go to the Brigham City Temple Dedication with Seth and Emma. It was a peaceful way to spend a couple of hours with each other. I'm grateful for the new perspective we've gained during this trial. I'm so much more mindful of the hours and days that we get to spend with our little family, and I appreciate the opportunities we have.

We're looking forward to seeing Dr. Lambert in two weeks when she comes to town for General Conference. I'm still amazed at the way this all turned out. Who would've guessed that we would form a friendship with our surgeon? I couldn't have predicted it, but I'm so grateful that we did!

Thank you for following our story. It's still overwhelming to me when someone tells me that they follow this blog. It's easy for me to write it all down, but hard for me to imagine that anyone would read it! I'm so thankful that so many people love my husband. He is a good man!

2 comments:

  1. This is great news! We are so happy about how well Nate is handling his chemo. It sounds like you made the most of your summer...and Seth capped it off with his polar bear plunge! I remember when my kids did something like that...CRAZY! Take care! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love checking your blog and seeing your updates and I'm so glad Nate is doing so well. I want to say a prayer of thanks everytime I see pictures of him with his family. What a blessing. I'm also so excited you'll get to see Laura. Will you guys be joining her on Monday? Give her a big hug for us!

    ReplyDelete