Thursday, August 11, 2016

We're Twinners!

I've heard that phrase a million times when my girls have decided to dress like each other or their friends. Nate and I didn't even plan this! Ha! The radiologist who reviewed Nate's scans called our oncologist just after he left the hospital to tell him that Nate had bilateral pulmonary embolism, or blood clots in both lungs. Yep...this is happening. I'm starting to wonder what the heck is in our water! Our doctor's nurse finally got in touch with Nate, on my cell phone because Nate didn't answer his FOUR times, while we were at the business together, so I got to hear the "comedy".

Nurse: Are you feeling ok?
Nate: Yep! Feel great.
Nurse: Any pain?
Nate: Nope. No pain.
Nurse: Any shortness of breath?
Nate: No. I'm breathing fine.
Nurse: Are you sure?
Nate: Yes.
Nurse: Well, the radiologist just called Dr. Gray to tell him that you have bilateral pulmonary embolism. They tried to catch you at the hospital but they missed you. Are you sure you don't have any symptoms?
Nate: Yes I'm fine. Wait, are you sure you have the right scans? There were a bunch of other guys getting scans today.
Nurse pauses to check that she has the right guy on the phone and confirms with his name and birth date.
Nurse: Yes, these are your scans.
Nate: Are you sure? Because I feel fine.
Nurse: Ok, but we need you to come in immediately.
Nate checks his watch and says: Ya, I can't come in today. I've got some things to get done.
Nurse: silence.......then: Well, can you come first thing in the morning?
Nate: checks his watch again: Yes I guess I can come in the morning.

Meanwhile, Natalie is on the sidelines hearing half of the conversation and wondering what the heck is up and feeling her blood pressure rising and the effects of a big shot of adrenaline.

Long story short, prescriptions were called in for once a day blood thinning med and twice daily injections in the belly which Nate was to start immediately. Early appointment where a nurse taught Nate about the meds and watched me give him his injection. Nate still felt fine and they think they caught the blood clots really early on since he has no symptoms. Phew. We have a follow up and another treatment Friday morning.

When we came home I told the kids what had happened the night before and they seemed a little in awe because they saw how much pain I was in when I had bilateral pulmonary embolism and they'd seen Nate acting completely normal. My oldest son said, "I think Dad's insides are made of vibranium (Captain America's shield made of the rarest of metals, vibranium). Then he said, "Wait, it's not. I punched him in the gut the other day and it was soft, not hard". Regardless of the soft belly, Nate is absolutely a Superhero!

We don't have any other results from the scan regarding the cancer but I thought I'd share this news so we could all have a little awe-chuckle at Nate's resilience, and so that hopefully a few blood clot specific prayers could be offered. Wouldn't it be great if this was the worst news we get from the scan results? Keeping the faith! It'll all be fine.....

No comments:

Post a Comment