Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Day 7...Man On The Run


Every year, UMASS hosts a PMP Symposium, MC'd by our very own Dr. Laura Lambert. As luck would have it, our visit coincided with it perfectly! Dr. Lambert invited us to attend, and even busted Nate off the floor in a wheelchair! It was all pretty exciting, what with Nate getting to put his shoes on and all. So the day began with a trip over to the Medical School Building. With the winds whipping, we chose the indoor route over the "pathway", and Nate never had to go outside. He did, however, enjoy basking in the sunlight out in hallway during a break.    



The presenters included a pathologist from Mass. General in Boston, who is an expert on peritoneal cancers, a Medical Oncologist from UMASS, Dr. Lambert, and an Appendiceal Adenocarcinoma SURVIVOR of 13 years. It was nice to exercise the old brain cells for a minute as we learned more about the latest research and awareness progress. There were also about 20 other survivors in the audience! Good company! Dr. Lambert pointed Nate out to a few of her colleagues as, "the guy I operated on for over 17 hours last Wednesday". There were more than a few, "Are you serious?", "And he's here?", "What?!", and "I bet he has his SuperMan disguise on under that track suit" comments. I was feeling pretty proud to be on his arm today.



We stayed for about two hours before Nate's pain started to kick in so we headed back to his room. BUT, not before we took a photo op with the famous MOAS HIPEC machine! That is the same perfusion machine used on Nate last Wednesday. The tech who started the perfusion was also present, so he explained how it works and showed us the temperature settings, catheters, and tubing. He also showed Nate exactly what he had sticking out of his belly during the procedure. It was 4  rather large rigid tubes about the exact same size as one of those giant Pixie Stix! I have to say, it was pretty cool.























After I maneuvered Nate back to his room, he had a nice lunch and we watched a little daytime t.v. What is with daytime t.v.? Dr. Lambert came for a visit and answered a few questions we had about the symposium, and she changed a few orders around so Nate is now on all meds by mouth. Apparently she wants to get him ready for discharge at some point. I know Nate's ready for that, but I don't know if I am! I do not want him exploding on me again! It's so much pressure!

We really aren't too sure when he'll get the boot, but I for one appreciate all the eyes that watch over him day and night. Maybe it's PTSD playing out? Nate's actually been a very compliant patient and is taking everything pretty slow. He's been very cautious on his diet, he takes his walks per Dr.'s orders, and he's staying on top of his pain meds and his naps. I appreciate his optimism! I also know that Dr. Lambert won't let him go until she knows he's ready. I hope this paragraph satisfies the 147 of you who sent texts, emails, and FB comments to encouraged Nate not to rush his recovery too fast! Believe me, I'm as freaked out and as cautious as you are! I just can't hold him back when he's behaving like a model patient!!!

On a more serious note, Nate's pathology came back today. Dr. Lambert was correct on her assumptions after seeing the tumors in surgery that they looked more like low grade cells. All tumors came back as low grade except one nasty little area up behind the liver which had a "focal" area of moderate grade cells. She's going to present the pathology at Friday's tumor board for clarification of what "focal" means, and to discuss recommendations from here. She described the report as "very positive" and she seemed genuinely happy with the results. This really is good news!

And what would a "Natalie" post be without a medical equipment update? Doesn't our old friend look sad and lonely? I feel bad saying it, but I really don't feel like that's any of our concern. In fact, I'm really hoping not to see "her" around again anytime soon.


Cheers to another day of good labs, good pain control, good pathology, and solid food! 

I was also reminded of one of my favorite "get me through the day" quotes so I thought I'd share it here. 

So, so grateful as I know that this applies to ALL aspects of our lives. Jesus Christ paid the ultimate price for each of us as we struggle through this life. I know that NOTHING will EVER, EVER, EVER go permanently wrong. Love to All!

1 comment:

  1. I'm one of the 147...and the paragraph helped! Nate, you are a walking, talking miracle...and we pray the miracles continue! Natalie, I love your updates...and I am sure you bounce between heady optimism and PTSD/dread...how could you do anything else? You kids be good to yourselves!!

    ReplyDelete